Engineering and Construction Services: The Importance of Following Work Safety Guidelines During Pandemic20 November 2020
Companies that conduct engineering and construction services typically follow certain work guidelines to ensure that their projects will be completed without causing harm or damages. But with the current global health situation, they are obliged to adhere to additional work safety guidelines to avoid compromising the health of their personnel as well as project owners or managers.
Keeping the Workplace Safe During the Pandemic
To maintain the safety of the workplace, the building and construction industry is mandated to follow certain guidelines during the whole course of the pandemic. Take note that some guidelines have already been part of the daily work of building and construction companies even before the pandemic.
- Risk Assessment: Risk assessment is normally conducted during construction projects since it can help identify hazards and associated risks as well as set out appropriate actions and measures in preventing the occurrence of workplace issues. Exposure to COVID-19 is considered a hazard. And with the presence of risk assessment, workers would already know the set of actions that must be done to avoid the continuous spread of the dreaded disease.
- Emergency Plan: Somehow tied in with risk assessment, an emergency plan is designed to set out requirements and instructions that the workers must follow in case of an emergency. Triggers and processes that would advise nearby businesses about COVID-19 diagnosis can be integrated with your emergency plan. Contact details for COVID-19 information lines can likewise be added.
- Physical Distancing: Since COVID-19 can be obtained through direct contact, workers and other people should practice physical distancing all the time. Physical distancing can be implemented by reducing the number of workers utilising a specific area, providing separate amenities for workers and others, postponing non-essential gatherings, and placing signage about physical distancing.
- Personal Hygiene: Personal hygiene can significantly reduce the risk of obtaining most of the disease on the surroundings. Workers and other people must make sure that they will wash their hands properly before and after eating, after coughing or sneezing, after going to the toilet, and after touching potentially contaminated surfaces. They must also cover their coughs and sneezes, dispose of tissues in closed bins, and clean and disinfect shared equipment.
- Personal Protective Equipment: The wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) has been practised for a long time now. After all, they can help minimise risk to the health and safety of workers and other people on the project site. Fortunately, PPE such as masks, gloves, and screens can minimise the risk of contracting COVID-19 around the site.
Significance of Following Work Safety Guidelines
Following work safety guidelines during engineering and construction works is important due to numerous reasons. For one, it can help protect the workers and other people from injuries, illness, and any other hazards that can be acquired in the workplace. Additionally, following the guidelines can reduce absences in the workplace. After all, some projects may have to be completed right on time. Another reason why following work safety guidelines is important is that it can boost the productivity of workers. They can work confidently since they know that they are safe from any risks and hazards. A huge number of resources such as time and money can be also saved as workers follow work safety guidelines.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au